This is what can happen when you leave an old bowler lying around the workshop. On one side of the table is the bowler. On the other? A pile of felt, some feathers, a few buttons, odd trimmings, braid and glue. One might almost think I had staged it. My very own production in felt and glue.
The bowler was very old. It was coming apart and the crown had split. It could have had a bit more life on stage, there’s a role for all costumes. But, sometimes you have to let go. In this case the letting go involved transformation. It was a fine day of bright colours and fun-with-glue.
What you need to make one
- An old bowler – or any hat you like
- Good sharp scissors
- Fleece also figures – use whatever you have
- Braid, buttons and feathers
- Any shapes, decorations or adornments you like
- Glue. PVA or Copydex for me
- Then glue things on the hat. Anyway you like.